BUBO Listing www.bubo.org

Friday 9 July 2010

Tree Sparrows and White Admirals

I decided to check out a site today where I know Tree Sparrows have bred in the past.
I was not disappointed, as a minimum of 7 pairs plus a couple of pairs of House Sparrows were seen to be feeding young within the old falling down farm building. This photo is rubbish but click on it a couple of times to see it is a Tree Sparrow. I then moved to nearby Little Linford Wood, where I could hear young birds of several species, and did manage to see Coal and Marsh tits, Nuthatch and Treecreeper.

The main action though was Butterflies. Meadow Browns, Ringlets, Gatekeepers, Large and Small Skippers, Common Blues, Comma, Large and Small White, Marbled White and best of all at least 3 White Admirals ( this photo needs clicking on to see one of them better)
I did see a couple of small dark butterflies flying around the top of an Oak tree that I suspect may have been Purple Hairstreaks, but I will never know.

No comments:

Post a Comment