BUBO Listing www.bubo.org

Sunday 10 October 2010

There's a Killer on the Loose

I started off at first light at Gayhurst Quarry today.
Duck numbers are definitely building up, with well over a hundred Wigeon, around 50 Shoveler, 30 Gadwall, a dozen Teal, 8 Pochard and just the one Tufted, along with the usual Mallards.
 Finally Drakey Wigeon has some friends, with half a dozen Wigeon on Fishing Lake.
Five Little Egrets, 4 Little Grebe, a Kingfisher and a dozen Lapwing were seen around the site.

I decided to follow the river around to where it passes under the motorway.
It was here that I noticed a dark shape on the opposite bank. I kept watching and this Mink appeared. As it seemed unconcerned by my presence, I watched it for around 5 minutes, before it disappeared into the vegetation. I even managed a few rubbish photos.

I

I then wandered up to Quarryhall, where a flock of around 300 Geese, 5/6ths of which were Greylags, the others being Canadas.
 A Grey Heron, a Little Egret, 40 Lapwings and 2 Golden Plovers, some Woodpigeons and Black-headed Gulls were also feeding in this field.
 Visible migration included a few Skylarks, Meadow Pipits, a couple of flocks of Linnets and 2 Siskins.

No comments:

Post a Comment