BUBO Listing www.bubo.org

Sunday 24 October 2010

Sparrows on my patch and merry Lap dance

First light saw me at Gayhurst Quarry today.
Lots of birds around, but nothing much other than common stuff.
Duck numbers continue to increase, with Mallards, Wigeon, Gadwall, Teal and Pochard all in abundance. Only 2 Little Egrets and 4 Little Grebe present this time and at least one Kingfisher.
Passing under the motorway bridge I  had an interesting sighting of a big Dog Fox. He was walking as bold as brass between the cattle, with them taking absolutely no notice of him at all - if that had been my dog they would have chased her around the field. I would have loved a photo of this, but unfortunately he saw me and was off.

 Quarryhall was a shade more interesting birdwise. I could hear Tree Sparrows, but they were difficult to pick out. I did eventually see some, but never more than 4 at any one time. I'm guessing there were probably around a dozen, as they were extremely vocal.
Yellowhammer numbers are building up with around 10 seen, also about 30 Linnets, 50 Skylark, 4 Meadow Pipits, a few Goldfinch and Chaffinch, 2 - 300 Fieldfares and a couple of Buzzards.

 This afternoon I met up with Paul and Nik to try and see a Lapland Bunting that had been at Ivinghoe Beacon earlier in the day.
 It had been seen briefly amongst a flock of Skylarks in an emerging Oilseed Rape crop.
Having got there we soon realised how impossible this was going to be. - The field was huge - the Skylark flock was huge and ranged over a huge area, - and the birds disappeared as soon as they landed.
Needless to say we didn't find it, but we did see probably 50 Linnets, a couple of hundred Fieldfare and at least 3 Bramblings in the Whitebeam trees on the way down.

No comments:

Post a Comment