BUBO Listing www.bubo.org

Monday 8 March 2010

Yoiks !

I managed a late afternoon visit to Gayhurst Quarry today.
Again the fields seemed to be full of Fieldfares, this time with quite a few Redwings mixed in with them.
The track down to the Pits was very active with bird life too, a flock of around 20 Reed Buntings being noteworthy.
Scanning the Fishing Pit I could see there were still large numbers of Wigeon, - I estimated over 500 - also around 50 Teal.
I then noticed a pair of Oystercatchers, amazingly my first of the year, and then another 3 appeared and settled quite close by.
A Little Egret was near the river, and in the field on the other side the Goose flock comprised of 250 Greylags, 50 Canadas and a single Egyptian.
Other Ducks present were around 50 Mallard, 50 Tufteds, 30 Pochard a few Gadwall and a female Pintail, which may well be a bird that was present in the autumn which I couldn't decide whether it was a young male or a female.
On the walk back up Marsh Tit was 'pitchou'ing just up from the wood.

No comments:

Post a Comment