BUBO Listing www.bubo.org

Monday 23 August 2010

Well Wood you believe it

Waking up to heavy rain, it was obvious I wouldn't get any work done today. So I scoured the local groups to see if there was anything worth going to see, that wasn't too far away.
 Pitsford Reservoir sounded a good option as a Wood Sandpiper had been present for the last couple of days and there was a good supporting cast of decent birds.
 As I had all day I decided to walk around the whole of the North side.
 Probably the most numerous bird on the ressie was Coot, with literally thousands of them, followed by Mallard, Gadwall and Great-crested Grebe. Lesser numbers were of Teal, Shoveler, Cormorant and Gulls, including one Yellow-legged.
 Lots of small birds were seen and heard in the surrounding woodlands, including Blackcap, Garden Warbler, Willow Warbler, Goldcrests, Tits and Finches.
 Scaldwell Bay was the most productive place on site for waders, with 3 Black-tailed Godwits, a Ruff, around 8 Green Sandpipers and about 200 Lapwings, but frustratingly no sign of the Wood Sandpiper.
Three Common Sandpipers and four Greenshanks were seen on other parts of the reserve.
 Also in the bay one female type Red-crested Pochard, 1 possibly 2 Black-necked Grebes and one of those ducks we don't mention.
 The area around the the Maytrees Hide feeding station was full of small birds, with 30 or 40 Tree Sparrows and various finches in the bushes, and a Whinchat feeding from the tall sedges.

 I was just making my way back to the car when Paul texted me to say he'd found incredibly a Wood Sandpiper at Linford Reserve.
 After cursing I made my way back to North Bucks.
But on arriving at Near hide, I was met by Nik and another birder, to be told no Wood Sandpiper here mate, but we have found a Ruff.
 O.K. the Ruff was nice as it wandered in and out of the long grass with it's Common Sandpiper friend, but it was the Wood Sandpiper I wanted to see.
 Maybe another day !

No comments:

Post a Comment