BUBO Listing www.bubo.org

Sunday 30 May 2010

Wilstone Redfoot

I decided that I ought to get up to Wilstone Reservoir this morning as there had been a Red-footed Falcon present since Wednesday (there had been 2 on Thursday)
Parking at Cemetery Corner I was prepared to put in around 3 or 4 hours to see this bird, but as I got out of the car I could see half a dozen people with scopes and cameras trained on a fully blossomed Hawthorn just a hundred yards away.
It wasn't going to be that easy was it ?
Sure enough it was and for the next half hour we enjoyed excellent views of the very handsome first summer male bird as it sat and preened itself.
Having had my fill I decided I would move on and not carry on to the reservoir as there were lots of other birders around to check it out. The Falcon still hadn't moved and I heard later on that it stayed in that same bush nearly all morning.

As I hadn't been up to the Hills this year, Pistone Hill was my next destination. It was a wonderful place to be on such a fine morning even if was a bit windy.
Skylarks and Meadow Pipits were everywhere and all in full song. Linnets and Goldfinches fed on flowerheads. A Yellowhammer sang from overhead wires and a single Corn Bunting jangled from a fence post. A Kestrel hovered over the car-park as I returned, very satisfied with my morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment