BUBO Listing www.bubo.org

Sunday 2 May 2010

Red-rumped Swallow

A typical Bank Holiday Sunday with strong easterly winds and heavy rain scuppered my plans to head off to Welney, so I decided to stay local.
 The storm the previous night had brought down an incredible 26 Black Terns onto Willen Lake and I decided to go and see if any were still there.
 The answer was of course No. Just 13 Common Terns were flying around the two lakes with quite a few Swallows and a few Sand Martins.
Warblers were very much in evidence with Reed, Sedge, Cetti's, Garden, Blackcap, Chiffchaff, Whitethroat and Lesser Whitethroat all in full song.
On the spit were a pair of Little ringed Plover, a pair of Oystercatcher and Pinky Pinkfoot.

I had just about finished my lap of the two lakes, when a text from Simon came through with news that a Red-rumped Swallow had been found at Wilstone Reservoir in nearby Herts. As it was still only 8 o'clock and I had only ever seen one before in this country, I decided I still had time to go for this.
So half an later I was climbing up the bank at Wilstone to see an assembled crowd on the eastern side of the Reservoir.
After walking round it was quite amazing to see a flock of about a hundred Swallow and House Martins flying low around the bank. Well to know the Red-rumped was in amongst this flock was one thing but to pick it out was another. It took me at least ten minutes to see it, and then the view was very brief. Eventually goods views were had as it flew above the hedge past us a couple of times and then to the top of a tree where a good part of the flock had settled.
A couple of Dunlin were on the side of the reservoir and 30 or 40 Swifts flew overhead.
After half an hour or so I decided that it was just too cold to hang around any longer and called it a day.

1 comment:

  1. I'd seen the reports about the Red rumped, but couldn't drag myself out in the rain this morning lol
    Glad you managed to see it though Rob.

    ReplyDelete