BUBO Listing www.bubo.org

Monday 2 May 2011

May holiday Mayhem

This long Bank holiday weekend has coincided with one of the most bird-productive times as I can remember in North Bucks.
 In amongst my work, Bird surveys, family business, I have been able to get out, unfortunately not finding too much exciting of my own, but hanging on to other peoples coattails to see some exciting stuff.
 Before work on Friday morning I had five minutes to spare so looked in at Willen South and was lucky enough to coincide with the brief visit of at least 10 Arctic Terns. On some of them the tail streamers had to be seen to believed.
 Friday afternoon I popped into Willen  North to find 3 Dunlin on the Bund. Unfortunately Rob H had found them an hour previous.
 Saturday morning after work it was Linford where Si had a male Garganey drop in. I bagged this as well as  a Hobby and a Common Sandpiper.
 The afternoon saw me at Rookery Pit in Beds as described in the previous post, dipping the Purple Heron.
Sunday morning I checked Gayhurst Quarry without too much success, singles of Common and Green Sandpiper and 3 Oystercatchers being the highlights. It was while there that a text came through of a couple of Bar-tailed Godwits at Linford, so I duly moved on to there. These were located without too much trouble along with a couple of Green Sandpipers, 4 Oystercatchers, a Little-ringed Plover and my first Cuckoo of the year.
 A major disappointment however was hearing that while I was in the hide, Rob H had seen an Osprey fly right over the reserve and I had completely missed it.
 Next it was back up to Willen to see the smart Greenshank that had been located by.. you guessed it Rob H.
 Monday morning I carried out my Lathbury Tetrad Survey. A couple of Yellow Wagtails and a possible Little Gull flying over being the best bits.
 Another Text message had me rushing up to Manor Farm, where Si and Rob had this time come up with a Wood Sandpiper. This was a smart bird but along with a Little-ringed Plover and a Lapwing these were the only birds I had time to look at, as another text came through. This time 2 Whimbrels at Willen - Guess who?!! Rob again !
 These birds were well and truly seen along with the remaining Greenshank from yesterday, before I  nipped back home for breakfast, wondering what the next call would be. Amazingly nothing else turned up.
 What a weekend ! 

No comments:

Post a Comment