BUBO Listing www.bubo.org

Sunday 27 March 2011

Newport environs

 I started off this morning at Gayhurst Quarry. ( The fact that I haven't reported from here recently isn't due to a lack of visits, but down to there being little change in what's been present )
 Chiffchaffs seem to have arrived in force, with at least a dozen around the site. On Fishing Pit there are still over a hundred Wigeon present along with about 8 Teal and a pair of Gadwall. Mallards and Tufted Ducks are still quite numerous and there must be about 8 pairs of Great-crested Grebe.
 The regular pair of Oystercatchers were on Motorway Pit and an additional 3 flew over towards Linford. It was here that I spotted my first Swallow of the year - amazingly I've yet to see any Sand Martins yet !

 At Quarryhall 5 or 6 pairs of Lapwings were doing their superb display flights - just love the whistling calls they make !!, a few Skylarks were in full song and a couple of Meadow Pipits flew over. I could hear Tree Sparrows chatting away in the bushes, but only managed to spot one of them, 4 Red-legged Partridges were seen as well as a few Reed Buntings.

On the way home I decided to take a look in at the Willen Road Gravel Pits. This site looks superb for waders and it was no surprise to see 3 Little Ringed Plovers here chasing each other around, also 4 Lapwings and 4 Teal and a flyover Buzzard.

1 comment:

  1. Greetings from Finland. This blog is a fun, through access to other countries, people, culture and nature. Come see Teuvo pictures on my blog. Tell your friends why he must visit Teuvo pictures on my blog. Therefore, to obtain your country's flag rise higher Teuvo blog pictures of the flag collection. Have a wonderful weeke Teuvo Vehkalahti Finland

    ReplyDelete